THE AMERICA ONE NEWS
Aug 30, 2025  |  
0
 | Remer,MN
Sponsor:  QWIKET 
Sponsor:  QWIKET 
Sponsor:  QWIKET: Elevate your fantasy game! Interactive Sports Knowledge.
Sponsor:  QWIKET: Elevate your fantasy game! Interactive Sports Knowledge and Reasoning Support for Fantasy Sports and Betting Enthusiasts.
back  
topic


NextImg:Lebanon reports 2 soldiers killed by Israeli drone that exploded after crashing

BEIRUT — Lebanon’s army said two personnel were killed Thursday after an Israeli drone that had crashed in the country’s south exploded, the latest deadly incident for Lebanese troops near the Israeli border.

Under a November ceasefire that sought to end more than a year of hostilities including two months of open war between Israel and Hezbollah, Lebanon’s army has been deploying in the country’s south and dismantling the Iran-backed terror group’s infrastructure there with the support of UN peacekeepers.

“While army personnel were inspecting an Israeli enemy drone after it fell in the Naqura area, it exploded, leading to the death of an officer and a soldier and wounding two other personnel,” the army said in a statement.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said in a statement that “the army is once again paying in blood the price of maintaining stability in the south.”

He said it was the fourth deadly incident for the army since it began deploying in south Lebanon after the ceasefire.

Earlier this month, six Lebanese soldiers were killed in a blast at a weapons depot near the border that a military source said belonged to Hezbollah.

In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun speaks during a ceremony marking Army Day at the country’s Defense Ministry in Yarzeh, near Beirut, Lebanon, on Thursday, July 31, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)

Aoun noted Thursday’s incident coincided with the United Nations Security Council’s extension of the UN peacekeeping force’s mandate ahead of its withdrawal at the end of 2027.

It also coincided with “the international community’s call for Israel to halt its attacks, withdraw… and enable the Lebanese army to complete the extension of its authority up to the international border,” the president’s statement said.

Under the US-brokered ceasefire, Hezbollah and Israel were both required to withdraw from south Lebanon, though Israel has kept forces in several areas it deems strategic. It continues to conduct strikes across Lebanon in response to what it says are ceasefire violations.

Reacting to Thursday’s incident, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam expressed his condolences and the government’s “full solidarity with the military institution.”

He said the army was Lebanon’s “safety valve, the stronghold of sovereignty and the support of national unity.”