


BEIRUT — As more Palestinian camps in Lebanon handed over caches of weapons to the country’s army this week, a government official told The Associated Press that the disarmament effort could pave the way for granting descendants of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon more legal rights.
Ramez Dimashkieh, head of the Lebanese-Palestinian Dialogue Committee, a government body that serves as an interlocutor between Palestinians in Lebanon and state officials, said his group is working on proposed legislation that they hope to introduce by the end of the year that could improve the situation of Lebanon’s approximately 200,000 descendants of Palestinian refugees.
The Palestinians, who are all recognized by the UN as refugees despite the vast majority of them not having been displaced during their lifetime, are not given citizenship in Lebanon, ostensibly to preserve their alleged right to go back to the homes they fled or were forced from during the regional mass displacements surrounding the 1948 creation of the State of Israel. They are prohibited from working in many professions in Lebanon, have few legal protections, and cannot own property.
The proposed legislation being drafted would still not confer Lebanese nationality on the Palestinians, Dimashkieh said, but would strengthen their labor and property rights.
“If people see a serious move forward in terms of arms delivery and they see the Palestinians here… are serious about transforming into a civil society rather than militarized camps, it will make the discourse much easier,” he said.
Last week, Palestinian factions started handing over some of the weapons held in the Burj al-Barajneh refugee camp on the outskirts of Beirut to the Lebanese army, an initial step in implementing a plan announced by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun three months earlier for removing arms from the camps.
Removing weapons from the camps was widely seen as a precursor to the much more difficult step of disarming the Iran-backed terror group Hezbollah, which last year fought a bruising war with Israel. The group has been under domestic and international pressure since then to give up its remaining arsenal in accordance with a 2006 UN Security Council resolution, but has so far refused.
Only one pickup truck loaded with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades left Burj al-Barajneh last week, leading many to dismiss the initiative in the Palestinian camps as ineffective or purely symbolic.
Dimashkieh acknowledged that “there was a lot of cynicism about the quantity and quality of the weapons delivered,” but insisted that the government is serious about following through.
“Whatever weapons are given, they’re weapons which are now in the possession of the Lebanese Armed Forces,” he said. “So we should be happy about that.”
On Thursday, another three camps in southern Lebanon handed over weapons, including some Grad rockets as well as RPGs, machine guns and hand grenades.
The 12 Palestinian camps in Lebanon are not under the control of Lebanese authorities, and rival Palestinian factions have clashed inside the camps in recent years, inflicting casualties and affecting nearby areas.
In the Ein el Hilweh camp near the southern port city of Sidon, rounds of fighting between members of Abbas’s Fatah movement and rival Islamist factions in 2023 killed around 30 people, wounded hundreds and displaced thousands.
The fighting also left the schools in one of two school complexes in the camp run by the UN Palestinian relief agency “heavily damaged to the extent that we are unable to use them,” said Dorothee Klaus, UNRWA director in Lebanon. The cash-strapped agency does “not have the resources currently to reopen the schools,” she said.
While UNRWA is not involved in the disarmament effort currently underway, Klaus said: “We very much hope that this leads to a situation of safety and security and stability with a functioning civil administration.”
Eventually, Dimashkieh said, the objective is for the camps to be patrolled by Lebanese police or internal security forces while being governed by civilian Palestinian officials, although he acknowledged that there would be “a transitional period” before that happens.
Abbas’s administration launched an overhaul of the Palestinian Authority’s leadership in Lebanon a few months ago, including the removal of the former PA ambassador and many security officials and staff. Dimashkieh said that a Palestinian delegation had recently visited to pave the way for elections of new “popular committees” that serve as de facto municipal authorities in the camps.
Palestinian factions opposed to Abbas, including the Hamas terror group and its allies, have rejected the plan to hand over weapons in the camps, and even members of Abbas’s Fatah movement have sent mixed signals, with some officials saying last week that only “illegal” weapons would be handed over, not those belonging to organized factions.
However, on Thursday, Sobhi Abu Arab, the head of the Palestinian National Security Forces in Lebanon, said that “we are doing our part as the Fatah movement and the Palestinian Liberation Organization to implement” Abbas’s decision.
Dimashkieh said his group has also had “initial talks” with Hamas and that he is “quite optimistic that we will make headway” with bringing them on board.