


The Israeli military announced on Friday that it would end its policy of pausing daytime operations in Gaza City, which was intended to ease the delivery of aid. It was the latest indication that the military was moving toward a full-scale invasion of the city.
In a statement, the military said the “local tactical pause in military activity” would not apply to Gaza City as of 10 a.m. on Friday, describing the area as a “dangerous combat zone.”
The Israeli military instituted pauses of operations between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. in several parts of Gaza in late July after international outrage over the dire humanitarian situation. Last week, a panel of global food experts said Gaza City and its surrounding areas were suffering from famine.
Early this month, the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that the Israeli military would expand its nearly two-year campaign in Gaza by taking control of Gaza City.
The military has not yet issued a broad evacuation order for Gaza City, but its announcement on Friday was the latest in a series of moves in recent weeks signaling that it wants Palestinians in Gaza City to move southward.
The military has already carried out widespread destruction of a neighborhood in the southern part of Gaza City, Zeitoun, turning a large part of it into a barren wasteland, according to satellite images reviewed by The New York Times.