


Britain has barred the Israeli government from sending officials to its flagship military weapons trade fair in London next month, in another sign of Israel’s deepening isolation as it expands the war in Gaza.
The British defense ministry confirmed in a statement on Friday that it had told Israel that its officials would not be welcome at the Defense and Security Equipment International exhibition, because “the Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong.”
Israel condemned the decision, calling it a “deliberate and regrettable act of discrimination against Israel’s representatives.” The Israeli defense ministry said in a statement that it “plays into the hands of extremists, grants legitimacy to terrorists and introduces political considerations wholly inappropriate for a professional defense industry exhibition.”
Britain’s ban does not extend to Israeli arms suppliers, several of which plan to have displays at the fair, which runs from Sept. 9 to 12. The British statement said the police would put “robust security measures in place” at the sprawling event, which draws companies from about 60 countries and has drawn protests by human rights groups in previous years for the lethality of the weapons on display.
The British government has steadily ratcheted up pressure on Israel over its conduct of the war in Gaza, announcing last month that it would recognize an independent Palestinian state next month unless Israel agrees to a cease-fire with Hamas. Last September, it imposed a partial suspension of weapons sales to Israel.